Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Comprehensive Look At Female Pop Singers VII: L. Boogie, Y'all

                                                                      
                                                                          

                                                       "To that of which we hold so dear,
                                                         Referring to the grace of love
                                                         That in our eyes is abundantly clear.
                                                         Wherein Heaven the door of the cage alas had sprung
                                                         And with a soul from the old upon us you flung."
                                                                                                                                           cuidada


Lauryn Hill   

       I have never been a fan of categorizing. I wish that especially in music. Why can we not just organize everything alphabetically? However, since it does exist and the masses are playing along, oh well. There are some singers who have actually invented their own categories. Something we'll explore later...when we get into my true loves. Hill did not define herself per se...her vocal ability did. As far as we know there has never been a Lauryn Hill. She is most certainly in a league of her own or category if you must.
     This one's gift made me cry. After years away from the scene, she agreed to do a Fugees Reunion for Dave Chappelle's, "Block Party." The first sight of her I welled up...the first note...borderline sobbing. It was just that it had been so long since we'd seen or heard from her. It was like seeing an old friend. One you'd been through things with. One you'd spent real time with...loving...worrying...giving...stressing...living. And then there they were again like all of a sudden.
     To begin any appropriate analysis of an artist we must consider a few factors. Their age and where they're from. Hill apparently had a normal American upbringing. No serious family issues which can sometimes lead to an artist's drive. And no serious vocal training. She just tried it one day and could do it...well. She teamed up with some schoolmates who were already musicians and formed "The Fugees." It was during this formative time that she grew rapidly into her new role as an MC/singer. This led to her solo career where we arrive at "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." Myself and my friends from across the country who basically agreed on all things music were so young when this album was released and were fiercely protective of our musical preferences. However, deeply rooted in the alternative music scene we were all unable to deny loving this singer.
     My once upon a time best friend called me up one day and all she said was, “She’s going to win album of the year, guaranteed.” At that particular time I despised any award shows and wouldn’t even read an article believing it would coerce my true opinion of an artist. Anyway, Hill did in fact win that most coveted award. Unfortunately, however, since that time and celebration of her achievement, Hill has been ravaged by the media, reprimanded by the industry, and thrust into a reclusive state. Where? Who knows. Personally, I am just sad about that occurrence. Now, though, in 2011 Hill seems to be creeping back upon us like a praying mantis whose ability hasn’t been sacrificed because of the lauders and the haters of the world alike.

 
    Now, the gift. “Killing me Softly.” I am very passionate about this topic so I think I am allowed to be a singer-snob. Usually, I am very critical about covers that are already perfect. “Killing me Softly?” Come on. Where would easy listening be without Roberta Flack? Probably not so easy. At any rate, Go Lauryn. I think that is when I knew we were going to be witnessing a natural. This is the kind of singer that songs are written for. I can envision songwriters with their sheets of musical papery not even losing sleep because if they write a song for Hill there is no doubt it will either A. work beautifully and B. Break the ground.
    

     Live: Free Tibet Concert Golden Gate Park 1996. Everyone was playing. Everyone. At the time The Fugees’ album, “The Score” had just been released. I mean like a week prior. So, The hype hadn’t built, yet. It was the very beginning of the festival and my friends and I were in the front row(out of a possible 100,000) because Cibo Matto was slated to appear randomly and we wanted to see them up close. They played and we were all like yay…Cibo Matto…killer. We began commenting on how we hoped the rest of the fest was as good. And within seconds out walked Lauryn(w/the Fugees). The beats began and I could not take my eyes nor my ears off of her. She out-rapped her bandmates basically leaving them in the dust. A vocal phenomenon.


     Miseducation Tour 1999. San Francisco, Ca. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. I remember people eating French fries and pizza and I was just like, “How can they eat at a time like this?” Performed, “I’m Going Down.” Mary J. Blige’s version.(Original-Rose Royce)


     Miseducation Tour 1999. Shoreline Amphitheatre. Mountain View, Ca. One of the most memorable performances I have ever witnessed. That was a truly blessed time.
 
 
 
 
Technicalities:
 


Vocal Range:

Full Soprano
C3-F6
3.5 Octaves
 
Projection:


G.O.D.

Style:


So far, A Hip and a Hop
 
Accomplished On A Single Album: 

C5-C#3-D5-A5-Bb2, “Sweetest Thing”
 
C5-up to F6(end of song) “To Zion”
Employs the whistle register-Mariah style)
 
B4, “Forgive Them Father”

D3-E3, “Hurts So Bad”
Eb3, “Miseducation”
F5, “Nothing Even Matters”
Eb5, “Ex-Factor”
 


“Come Back To Us”  

No comments:

Post a Comment