Sunday, May 26, 2013

History of A Passion VIII: Bob Marley



       "...Don't believe the devil...don't believe his book...but the truth is not the same without the lies he made up...don't believe in excess...success is to give...don't believe in riches but you should see where I live...I-n-I believe in love..."


                                                          -Bono



   

"Tribute to the man called Bob Marley...tribute to the musical hero...the king of reggae..."

                                                             -Prince Fari














     Music is my religion. So, when I listen, I, most certainly am praying. This occurs often. In all honesty I can remember specific moments in time when I purchased particular albums, heard certain artists for the first time---Almost to the day and to the hour of my life. However, when it comes to Mr. Marley, I can only place the approximate year when all of a sudden, the majority of my time was DEVOTED to listening to Bob. Of studying and becoming an absolute aficionado because his music is that good. Not only did I become an expert on the Marley discography, I quickly figured out how to sing the songs. I can sing any Marley song with an ease and finesse that could only be explained by the connection I feel to Marley's songs by way of an unquestionable certainty that this man was a blessed individual outright. And the strength of faith I gathered from his words proved to me that if there ever was a doubt in my heart that God existed...it was no longer.



     Falling in love had a new meaning for me. I was head over...immersed in a scenario that encapsulated freedom and salvation...wisdom and humility...strength and gentleness...a shelter in the storm. Not exactly sure where I got my first Marley album or which one it was, but probably just copied some tracks from my brother's collection. And probably were the main Marley go-to's. "No woman, no cry, Is this Love, Buffalo Soldier." Listening to those hits soon tired and I was on to the real breadth of Marley's body of work. At any rate, my favorite Marley album is, "Survival." Start to finish--absolute masterpiece. And my favorite song isn't even on that album!(So Jah Seh-"Natty Dread) It would be too difficult to place the other albums in any kind of order by personally rating them from favorite to least favorite. This account is just a slice of my personal experience with Bob Marley.






             "...To the rescue.....here I am...." 

No comments:

Post a Comment